luni, 6 octombrie 2014

Two months of living in Vienna! What's the news?

Today, 6th of October, there are exactly two months since I moved to Austria… When did they pass? I don’t even know! But this makes it a perfect time for reflection, for doing a check if everything is on the right track.

Unfortunately, I did not write here for a month, even though I had lots of topic in my head. Many things happened, which left me little time to write. Also now, it does not mean I have time but, on the contrary, I feel the urge of writing, I miss the feeling of doing so.

Stadtpark in Vienna

What should I start with? Well, I began university! And now, my first term is almost ending. It is the right time to tell a few things about Webster, which I plan to develop in a future article. It is an American university and therefore it is structured in a particular way: the university year is split in terms, each having 8 weeks and one week holiday in between them; you can also take a summer break for one term. For this term, I chose to take only one course (the maximum is two), which is Introduction to International Relations. And apart from the class, I got involved in many university-related activities, such as being a Tour Guide for the campus, getting into the board of the International Relations Students Union, participating in campus events or applying for a work-study scholarship. Therefore, my conclusion is that if you want to do something with your student life, there are indeed many options. It just depends on you to approach them and to strive for excellence. However, my standing goal remains to find a full-time job in the IR domain and many of my actions have this driver.

Webster University at the official opening, 1st of October

My social life has also been quite interesting. It makes me happy that I did succeed to see new places in Vienna, such as Karls Kirche, the Zoo, and also travel outside Vienna, to Hallstatt, in Upper Austria. Amazing place this one, it is also on my list of future articles! One of the highlights has been as well the Vienna Night Run! Webster University organized a group to go together and it also supported 2/3 of the tickets costs. The evening was great! Beautiful weather, impressive architecture to run by, a nice new friend to go along and support me. The feeling you get after running 5 km in 32 min. is unbelievable!

The Zoo

Vienna Night Run, 30th of September

 Above and below in Hallstatt

And how could I forget to mention that I had already completed a new level of German, A2.1, at Deutsch Akademie? My experience here has been very good: an excellent teacher (Verena) and a multicultural and joyful group.

Champagne for the last day of our German course! Cheers! 

One may wonder also if I felt any culture shock. Actually, not so much, almost not at all. However, I believe that some important factors have been the facts that I received regular packages with food from home (some things that one cannot get from here :X), my parents visited me recently and I also keep in touch with people from Romania. Of course, not every day is a paradise and not everything is 100% wonderful, but this is how life goes no matter what corner of the world you live in. It depends on what side of the glass you consider: the empty or the full one?

Briefly, my life goes on the right track. Keep in mind: take care what you wish for because it will come true! Your thoughts have the power to attract those particular feelings, actions and events… (as the outcome of a conversation with a good friend was…).


Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu